Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

But what should it SOUND like?

When Jeff sent me the script for Measure of the Sin on the heels of our finishing and then traveling to support Gracie, I was intrigued and maybe a little worried - it pointed towards an evolution of sorts for us. We'd previously collaborated on two short (under 30 minute) films, but now we were looking at an hour+ long feature film. Having already written 45 minutes of music for Gracie & Perry's Wait, it wasn't a question of can I write that much; rather, how can I keep it cohesive?

The most difficult, and ultimately most rewarding thing about composing music to picture is serving the dramatic needs of the story & visual while still creating music that for the most part can stand on its own. That's a difficult litmus test, but it's important to meet because there are many reasons why a film succeeds or fails, and music is one of the biggest. I try to keep in mind that the late Jerry Goldsmith (composer of Chinatown, Alien, The Sand Pebbles, Planet of the Apes; etc) once said: "Great music can't save a bad movie, but bad music can kill a great movie." No pressure!

The script has given me some great, inspiring 'mental' visuals - and some musical clues/cues. With my engineer/collaborator John Billings, some great musicians, and Kristy and Jeff's thoughts and direction, I look forward to the challenge of helping bring Meredith's story to life...

(and no Jeff, I haven't started writing the music yet.)

No comments:

Post a Comment